Re: CULT: store bought iris

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

>> If iris were available in their local nurseries, they would certainly purchase iris to plant in summer as enthusiastically and as consistently as they buy their bulbs for fall planting. The iris, however, are not there.<<

A number of local nurseries, ours included, pot irises so that they are in bloom and ready to go during the gardening season. The problem is that one rhisome doesn't stay in bloom for very long and the majority of the public expects to be able to purchase most if not all of their plants in bloom.

Remember this is the generation that's come to expect petunias to be blooming in 6 cell ponies! Most people are not inclined to wait.

I'm afraid that comparing irises to fall bulbs usually doesn't work because of the price difference. Only during our occassional fall sales of "grab bag" irises at 10 for $1.00 is the price low enough for most people to consider spending money on a plant not in bloom.

Christy Hensler

THE ROCK GARDEN
Newport, WA z4b
http://www.povn.com/rock/