Re: CULT:Iris Proliferation

AIS Bulletin, #273, April 1989, p. 35

Iris Proliferations -- Lucy Fry (Kansas)

In all the years that we have been growing irises and studying iris literature, I had never heard of a proliferation on an iris.  Proliferations in connection with daylilies is a common occurrence, but to the few people we know who had heard of one on an iris, none had seen one.

You can imagine the surprise I felt as iw as walking in the seedling patch in Sept. and saw something odd.  A seedling grown from seed given us by Roy Brizendine and having about one half aril content had, not one, but two, distinct formations in the clump.  Perched on top of a one to one and one fourth inch stalk were two seprate fans spreading away form the center.  Each fan had several leaves about two and one half to three inches tall and showed distinct root nodes.  The second proliferation was similar but slightly smaller.  We have a number of people who will attest to having sen the profileration because we took one of them to the Region 18 fall meeting.

We rooted both proliferations and planted them--one with the stalk still attached, the other without the stalk.  This way, we can compare the results of different cultural practices.  We are anxious to see the results.

Since we have had all the discussions on proliferations, I thought I'd throw in my $.02 worth.  I believe that along with breeding out disease resistance and wide adaptability from the annual re-setting that most west coast breeders practice, while never seeing an iris in a clump to check esthetics, the ability has been bred out of modern irises to produce proliferations.     :)    Bet that stirs up some controversy.

Also want to publicly thank Sharon for her keen insights into many different topics!  Ain't she grand?