From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

StorYlade@aol.com wrote:
> Lo All,
> I've been pretty much out of the loop, iris wise, since the fall of 95.  I
> understand that the over-all AIS membership is way down, maybe a thousand or
> more.  Is this true?  If so, does anyone have an idea why this has happened?
> For several years, we gained about as many as we lost and stayed at a fairly
> stable number.  Ideas?

AIS went for quite a while without raising membership dues, and then put in a
large increase. That caused some to drop out.

Then there was the switch to calendar-year-only memberships. That turned away
some prospective members and irritated some current members.

The latter issue has been almost completely removed by the new
18-months-for-18-bucks first-year membership rule.

The former is no longer important to many (the membership fee is reasonable; it
was just the percentage of the increase that was the problem).

AIS seems to be in good financial condition now, in a remarkable turnaround, so
the future appears rosy (or is that irisy).

mailto:gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles
President of San Fernando Valley Iris Society