Re: CAT: Smaller Piece of the Pie

From: BKAntique@aol.com

In a message dated 1/13/99 1:43:40 AM !!!First Boot!!!, ambrosia@silk.net

> In conclusion I would say that that pie is going to keep getting smaller.
>  Even the big ones (Schreiners, Cooleys, etc.) have to adjust and change
>  accordingly. There are so many other excellent hybridizers and growers out
>  there now. I don't think past reputation will gaurentee your share in the
>  market any more, you have to continue to earn, and that may be by offering
>  better and different plants.

I could not agree with you more.  The most successful iris suppliers will be
the ones able to market the "value" of their respective products (in an
efficient manner, of course).  Because each person defines "value"
differently, there will never be a grower who has the opportunity to supply
everything to everyone.  All other factors being equal, the growers that can
diversify and improve their product (and market that diversity and
improvement) should have a distinct advantage over those that offer the same
thing year after year.

I have great respect for the job that the smaller growers and hybridizers out
there undertake each year.  A pat on the back to all of you.

Brian Thompson
Lincoln, Nebraska, where the snows are falling and winds are blowing again...