Family Resemblances

From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>

Betty' statement that "According to human genetics, if I wanted to know
the potential of my children, I should check back in all directions for
6 generations for looks and traits. (Throw backs--We often hear that
Little Mike is just like Mom's Great Uncle Edward, etc.)" must be taken
with a pinch of salt.  It is well-known that humans are 'agressive
outbreeders' and something like 25% of children are not the offspring of
their fathers.  Family resemblances are often in the imagination of the
beholder.  When our children were young, we often had people comment on
the resemblance of three of our children -blond and blue eyes - to their
father -blond and blue eyes - and one black hair and drk brown eyes - to
their mother - brown and grey eyes.  There was some truth in their
statements but our youngest daughter is Chinese and adopted!

In my view, DNA testing is the only truth.

Ian, in Ottawa