Re: ECON marketing through nurseries

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/13/1999 10:11:17 AM Central Standard Time,
breckenridge@bnis.net writes:

<<
 People like to buy their annuals in bloom. But most of the plants they buy,
including vast numbers of trees, shrubs, and bare root roses are not in bloom.

Julia has a very good point here.  I also buy tulips, daffodils, crocus,
daylilies, and dahlias without bloom.  The main difference here is a picture
which I trust to be true to the product in the bag.  Although others might, I
will not buy any of these plants without knowing the name and color.  Almost
without fail, what I buy is what I get.  Why are the irises different?

Our club, and many others, sell irises as our main fund raiser.  We have a
large display garden which we take orders from the day of our show, but on the
day of the actual sale we have several benches full of bare rhizomes for sale.
We found things went much better when we started stapling pictures of the
flower to the boxes-either photographs or pictures cut from old catalogs.  It
cuts down on the time spent pawing through old catalogs and R & I's looking
for descriptions the day of the sale.  (We have our sale outside and it's
always so darn HOT.)

We still get in trouble because, occasionally, a member will bring something
to the sale that has been misnamed.  It was either misnamed when the member
bought it, tags were mixed, or the darn thing grew too fast in the wrong
direction and got mixed up.

Trust is an important word here.  AIS members know people are being
misinformed and misled when they buy the currently packaged irises.  But the
public in general only knows that the pretty blue iris they bought, if it
lived, bloomed white (and maybe it was ugly too)!  They didn't get what they
thought they had bought.  And sometimes they bring them to shows and enter
them misnamed.  Oh! It gets ugggggly!

Knowing that bad press spreads much faster than good press, how can we rebuild
the trust while people continue to "contaminate" the market?  Nursery wise or
other wise.

Betty