Re: Educating

From: "Patricia R. Wenham" <prw@televar.com>

I think one way to introduce gardeners to growing iris is to give them
some of yours.  I think it would be interesting to see how many of us
grew our first iris because someone gave it to us.

I have shared my iris and included instructions for growing them when a
non grower admired my iris.  I lived adjacent to a clinic and the driver
who delivered someone to the clinic often came to look at my flowers.  I
had some increases planted by themselves in a bed and I would save big
plastic containers and copies of articles about iris or instructions
which came with a few of the iris I ordered.  I dug the iris and potted
it, handed the admirer the plant and one of the instruction flyers or
articles and told them to come back for more information or to see more
iris in bloom at another specified time.  I had many repeat callers and
on the second call I gave them old iris price lists and names of growers
who had catalogs available.  I found many people could not afford the
catalogs at $5.00 plus the cost of an iris and the shipping but they
could buy one iris from a free catalog or list.  The main problem with a
list is lack of color photos.  Color photos drive the price of the iris
up.  Perhaps we could encourage people to grow iris from seed.  Patience
is required but money is not such a problem.

Think back, what got you hooked on iris?  My first one was given to me
just as was my first Glad, my first mum, my first rose bush.  That will
give us the key to getting more people educated about iris.