Re: ECON marketing through nurseries

From: "Mike Sutton" <suttons@lightspeed.net>

Many large bulb distributors buy iris by the color, even seedlings that are
being discarded.  After they purchase the iris from the grower I believe
they put them
in their little bags with a picture of ie: Babbling Brook, all the blue iris
will go in this bag, regardless of what it really is.  All the pink iris
will be drooped in the Vanity bags etc.  It has been my personal experience
that the more a rhizome is handled the greater the chance that it gets mixed
up.  A middleman would add one more (probably a lot more) set of hands to
the mix.
If you have a picture of an iris it will always sell more then if
you don't.  Our sales of certain iris will go up if we don't have a picture
of it but
it is pictured in somebody else's catalog.  On site sales during bloom
are dramatically increased when there is a picture of the flower for sale,
even if it is not in