Re: was marketing...now Publicity

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 1/13/1999 2:25:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, BILLS@hsc.edu

<< Our publicity guy here tells me that a very large percentage of what is
 printed in newspapers (especially those like ours that don't come out every
 day) is taken from handouts and releases of various kinds. >>

BINGO.  This is true... and we learned it the same way you did - from a

We have found that if you can even WRITE an article.... and send it in to your
garden editor, chances are they will print it.  Generally, when we send
something like that, we make it clear that we want no credit.

Another trick is to send your press release with suggestions for "photo
opportunities", for example - your show or a good garden.  Weathermen LOVE to
have flowers as a backdrop... and papers love to have flowers to catch the

I'm reading and copying everyone's suggestions.... GREAT information here...
wonderful insight and good comments.  My plan is to put together a publicity
package to go to all the RVP's and affiliates which contains:

1.  a sample article
2.  suggestions for attracting the media
3.  suggestions for attracting the public
4.  Outreach opportunities and how to make the best of them

We can do this together, boyz and girlz.  If we want to introduce the folks
out there to GOOD, RELIABLE irises - of all kinds - then it's up to us!

Keep those thoughts coming.

Kathy Guest in the Buffalo Burbs where she's not sure if she wants the
National Guard to take the snow away... or her away.