OT: HIPS Membership Services

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 1/13/99 6:09:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
hirundo@tricon.net writes:

<< 3. Coming from that, I've renewed twice with HIPS and never gotten anything
 from them. First they sent my check back because it didn't have my name and
 address printed on it, then I sent them another $12, and haven't heard
 anything.  >>

Mr. Brooks, you mentioned this situation in private e-correspondence with me
some months ago and I suggested to you on July 30,1998 that if you had a
canceled check for that twelve dollars you should write to the newly appointed
Membership Chairman at the address posted on the HIPS webpage and mention that
fact. If you have done so and have not received clarification please let me
know and I will check into the matter personally. You should have received two
issues of ROOTS at this point. Without a cancelled check there is little we
can do, of course.

Now, further to HIPS Member Services: plenty of folks get plenty of services
from HIPS all the time whether they are HIPS members or not.  For example, one
fellow of uncertain status in Tennessee who is trying to assemble a collection
of the G & K irises was mentioned in my annual Fall newsletter to the
Commercial Sources, copies of which went to selected members of the Board. The
idea was to see if any of the more obscure cultivars could be located for him.

We also have an active presence on the www, we answer inquiries from students
and novices and other persons around the world, some of which require hours of
research and writing, we consult on garden restorations for private
individuals and public institutions, and we all pitch in on this list. Many
dedicated people put in many hours to make this farflung volunteer
organization function, and not all of them are office holders. Sometimes HIPS
functions better than others, but we generally give pretty damned good value
for the measly five bucks a year that it costs to belong.

Anner Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society
HIPSource@aol. com