Re: AIS: showing vs growing (was Marketing)

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/13/1999 7:30:05 PM Central Standard Time, lmann@icx.net

<< But that was a survey of members who came to the fall meeting, who are
 probably the same members most interested in competitive showing >>

You are so right.  And this was in response to a remark on the list that AIS
seemed to be very pro-show bench.  I was agreeing.

I couldn't agree with you more about the personal enjoyment being the main
reason for growing irises.  When the weeding is done, I like to sit on a park
bench-I have my own-and look at the irises in bloom for hours.  I don't want
to go inside.  Few things give me more pleasure.  But I've found that I am
enjoying irises less than I once did.  I came to the realization that I was
spending most of my time on club functions and running around to other places,
looking at other peoples irises.  I wasn't leaving enough time to enjoy my own

I would come home and wonder why my irises looked so much prettier than those
I saw in other peoples gardens.  I would return to my garden at the end of a
long weekend and wonder why I hadn't spent the time at home with the garden I
loved.  It took me a year or so to realize that my garden was so appealing to
me because I grew the things I liked best.  So, of course, I liked it better.
It sure couldn't be because I took such good care of them!

Are you getting this warming trend?