Re: Educating

From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>

At 09:58 AM 1/13/99 -0500, you wrote:
>From: "Patricia R. Wenham" <prw@televar.com>
>I think one way to introduce gardeners to growing iris is to give them
>some of yours.  I think it would be interesting to see how many of us
>grew our first iris because someone gave it to us.

Exactly, Patricia. With a display garden about to (quietly) open next year
I've done some quiet diplomacy with my neighbors on the 1.5 miles stretch
between town and Malone Hollow Nature Center, by stopping and introducing
myself to folks who are obviously gardeners and giving them some rhizomes.
I did this right after our sale with what I had left over, so they had
variety names on them. I also donated some to the townscape committe which
plants flowers around town hall and the visitor's center, and to the town
committee trying to beautify the grounds of the recycling center.

If I had enough rhizomes, I would donate them to the committee maintaining
the plantings in the medians of the four-lane going through town. Maybe
next year.

I've also done garden clinics (free) on subjects like How to dig and
separate rhizomes. The notice to the lifestyles editor of the newspaper
didn't cost anything, and the ladies who came out all wanted to buy some of
the rhizomes they dug. It was like a pick-your-own operation.

Of course in Tennessee we are fortunate to have had a group of pioneer
growers in the Nashville area like Connell, Kirkland, Stahlman-Washington,
Wills and Williams who grew four Dykes winners, got the iris named our
state flower, Nashville named Iris City and we now have a vanity auto tag
with a clump of iris on it that almost totally obscures the numbers, so on
the road you can spot another iris love (assuming it's not someone wanting
to obscure their number so they can rob a bank).

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
Persimmon Katz
 { o o }