Re: ECON marketing through nurseries

From: DWiris@aol.com

Dear Betty,

We know about misnamed irises at shows.  One of our newer members had bought
iris rhizomes at local nurseries and at some mail order general nurseries
which tend to put their own names on things.  He has been bringing specimens
to our shows with these names and gets very hurt when we tell him the name is
incorrect.  The worst occasion was when the judges awarded best specimen to
his deep purple TB, even though they were not familiar with the name.
Afterward, when the show chairman was making out the show report, he looked up
that name and found that it belonged to a yellow intermediate.  It was decided
to use a name that could have belonged to the specimen, instead of the
obviously wrong one.  He has subsequently entered specimens of the same iris
under the name that was used on the report, but we are still not sure it is
correct.

Even reputable nurseries manage to get misnamed plants.  I was recently
looking through an Andre Viette catalog and noticed a listing of "Iris Pumila
- Dwarf Bearded Iris".  Almost all were SDBs and one was an intermediate.
None of the heights given agreed with registered heights.  One name was
misspelled and one name could not be found in any check list.  For the most
part, colors were correct.  Some nurseries do much worse.

Our local societies try to have everything labled correctly at our sales, but
once in a while a stranger gets in.  We are finding that beardless irises such
as siberian, japanese and tectorum bring much better prices than the bearded
do.  This is not a good area for rebloomers, but ones that we tell customers
do rebloom here sell well.

Dorothy Willott in very snowy northern Ohio