Re: HIST: Origin of Iris Symbolism

From: "Julia Rankin" <breckenridge@bnis.net>

I understand from a friend of mine in France that the iris continues to be
called the Fleur de lis there, ie that is the French name for the iris... It
is heavily used in medieval painting and because of it's tri partite form
always taken as a symbol of the Trinity. A favorite design in medieval times
is a pattern of golden fleur de lis on a field of blue. The origin of the
trinitarian symbolism is obvius: the tri-partite form would have instantly
truck the medieval mind as a reference to the Trinity.

Julia Rankin
breckenridge@bnis.net