Re: Educating/marketing

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

The rose analogy is a good one. The roses of choice here are the "own root" perpetual bloomers... Hansa Rugosa probably being the favorite. No bug or disease problems, will grow anywhere, rarely needs pruning or fertilizer, puts on huge blooms througout the season and will thrive with complete neglect after the first year.

I don't hold out much hope of educating most of the general public enough to grow modern irises. I'd hate to admit how often I've heard the phrase, "I want something with a lot of color that I don't have to mess with." (I recommend plastic flowers to this type of gardener, BTW.)

It sounds like what we need is an extended blooming iris that's not prone to disease, blooms vigorously and at a young age, can take a wide range of soils and conditions, can survive in spite of neglect under 3" of mulch, comes in a wide range of colors and is lovely.

The news of reblooming TBs is exciting, but is anyone working with reblooming beardless?

Christy Hensler

THE ROCK GARDEN
Newport, WA z4b
http://www.povn.com/rock/