Re: AIS: Educating the Educators

From: RYFigge@aol.com

 Here is another idea for you, Maureen, and your hort school will love you for
it.  Whben I was president of our local society, someone asked our publicity
person what we did with our money!  That started the ball rolling, sowe could
keep out of the hands of our IRS (the Federal tax people - do you have that
watchdog up there?)  which frowns on societies making much money.  I had taken
several courses at the hort college because I knew little about other plants.
I was very impressed with the quality of teaching  (the teacher had me give
the lecture on   irises when that came up in the curriculum) -- anyhow I
proposed that we give the Horticulture section of the Community College
scholarships - the "contract"  is not to be "needy-ships"  the student has to
have a certain  above average grade and  it has our society's name on the
scholarship so that gives publicity in the catalogue and any announcements.
The Director has talked to our group and he has had an iris bed built with the
help of one of our members, and they keep it maintained - he also belongs to
our society  Not everyone in our group was "modern-thinking" enough to be in
favor of the idea, but we give anywhere from 3 to 6 semester-scholarships a
year, depending on how much we make on our sales (held in a garden center)  It
makes a good talking point with the public, besides!
"