Re: REF: Journals

From: dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Ian E. & Shirley Efford wrote:

> From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>
> Everyone's view of the world is different and the discussion about the
> weakness of AIS is, in my view, reflected in the Bulletin.  It is well
> produced and edited but simply lacks interesting articles.  Now, if
> SIGNA could be published like the AIS Bulletin, we would be getting
> somewhere.
Ian I like the format for SIGNA best because it comes in looseleaf size
with 3 holes and can be put in a l-l binder for saving. The AIS
Bulletins are difficlut to manage.

> There are three really good iris journals, BIS Bulletin, SIGNA, and one
> that few people would consider, the Bulletin of the Alpine Garden
> Society.  The AGS in particularly good this last issue, and I would
> recommend anyone interested in bulbous irises, juno, or bulbs generally
> to find Volume 66, #3, September 1998 in the library.

Could you tell us please what's the address for subscribing to this
Journal? TIA.

> It is well worth the effort to find this issue of the journal and see
> the striking contrast to the AIS Bulletin in the quality of the
> articles.  [I know, a journal is only as good as the articles that are
> sent in, so may be that is the problem with AIS].
OK i'll check in with our local library and see what they've got. Maybe
check in with Chapters (large bookstore too).

> Ian, in Ottawa where the irises and people are undergoing special test
> for cold hardiness.  We are told that the wind chill will be between -41
> and -50C tonight [and louisianans still survive] and a major snow storm
> will blanket the area between now and noon tomorrow.
We were supposed to get this but it went south round the lake and got
Buffalo instead.

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
cold edge of Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page