Re: REF: Journals

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>Everyone's view of the world is different and the discussion about the
>weakness of AIS is, in my view, reflected in the Bulletin.  It is well
>produced and edited but simply lacks interesting articles.  Now, if
>SIGNA could be published like the AIS Bulletin, we would be getting
>somewhere.

Wow, two "me-toos" in one day!  I'm glad Ian has broached this subject.
Seems to me that the Bulletin devotes entirely too much space to such
things as the minute by minute minutes of the board meetings (about which
most of us couldn't care less), descriptions of convention gardens (in
which endless varieties are mentioned and praised as "super" without ever a
word of description), and accounts of personalities, like bios of RVPs.

The Bulletin has greatly improved in recent years in terms of quality of
editing, attractiveness, etc., etc.  Terry and Scott Aitken are doing a
very good job, and getting better all the time.

Now, granted, that stuff does interest some people, and legitimately so.
BUT--it would be nice to have more articles that focus on the plants we
love.
I am sure someone will be able to go through recent bulletins and pull up
stats that show that indeed this impression is wrong, that there are MORE
articles about plants, etc., etc (see July '98, for example).  Well, I
don't care about that.  I want STILL MORE articles about plants.

How do we go about getting them?

1) Write one yourself and send it to the Bulletin.  They can't publish what
they don't get (and by the way, Ian, ever notice how much of SIGNA is
reprinted from old issues or from someplace else?).

2) Editors, solicit articles from folks you know can write them and have
something interesting to say.

As AIS members, the Bulletin is our publication, not somebody else's, and
if we want to see certain types of articles we have to let the editors
know, and if we can, contribute.

For my part, I'm resolving now to send Terry Aitken something by the end of
February.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College