Re: HYB: Rolling the Dice

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/15/1999 11:52:25 AM Central Standard Time,
suttons@lightspeed.net writes:

<<  For the
 researched crosses it's closer to 1 in 100.   >>

My personal research indicated this was happening with many hybridizers even
though the greater number was being sited.  I'm glad to see I wasn't so far
off.

If you research in the beginning and start with irises that produce good
"children" in their home gardens, you definitely increase the chances of it
happening in your own seedling patches.  The odds change drastically.

Mike, I know what a thrill it must have been to see so many good seedlings
from those two crosses.  It gives validation of your program.

Since people don't always want to share their secrets (or we think they don't
want to be bothered) the R & I's is an excellent source.  Dr. Smith told me
once that I was the only person he'd ever known that bought irises from the R
& I's!

Betty