Re: Publicity

From: "Gary D. Sides" <irisman@mindspring.com>

Kathy Guest....  wrote earlier today...........

>Great idea.... and easy to do!  In my experience, most people WANT to come
>iris shows... and sales, for that matter.  But I read some stats once that
you
>have to have to send out seven PR notices in order to get a good return and
>good attendance.  So, some ideas might be:  1.  direct mail  2.  newspaper
article
>3.  tv mention  4.  radio mention  5.  banner/sign
>....  what else??  I'm loving this discussion.

Our club does 2 mailings:  on postcards, (4 are generated from 8.5 x 11
lightweight cardstock) first class so we can get updated addresses and we
keep all approx. 1500 names in a database to generate mailing labels.  We
stick labels at our Apr meeting one month before the show as a "Label
Party", with food of course.  That mailing goes out about 3 weeks before the
show.

The second with updated names and addresses about 3 weeks before the rhizome
sale which is always the last weekend in June on Sat.  (Done at our June
meeting, the 1st Tuesday, again with food!)   That one kinda makes hard
deadlines because of all the new names from the show on Mother's Day, but we
also give away a $25 gift certifcate for rhizomes to 2 different people to
be picked up at the rhizome sale from the registrations at the show.  These
are just simple forms printed 8 to a page and cut up, with all the
information  we need to update our records.  Seems to work for us.

Gary D. Sides   Nashville, TN  USDA 6/7   irisman@mindspring.com
Bearded Iris Rebloom is Up and Coming!  Get some today!