Re: TB: HYB: Garden Vs. Show Bench

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 1/15/99 5:08:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
z88keys@mindspring.com writes:

> ll,
>  >
>  >When it comes to breeding TB's, oncers, rebloomers, or space age, do you
> breed
>  >for the garden or the show bench?  A really great garden iris may not show
>  >well.  (I've got my feet firmly planted--everyone yell at me at once and
> get
>  >it over with)!
>  >
>  >Betty
>  >
My opinion is we are putting to much emphasis on shows as clubs. Our club has
3 shows a year and it's very hard to work in a garden tour because of the
shows. I love to show myself but feel as a judge and pollen dauber that we
must breed iris that will grow and look well in the garden. Of course a
certain percentage will be acceptable iris for the show bench. What I am
hearing from hybridizers is a little disturbing...they say very few if any
judges drop by their seedling patch but will attend shows to judge seedlings.
I personally am breeding for the garden for I know 1-3 percent will be show
iris if I decide to introduce any of them. Only my personal opinion.
I booked our room for the AIS convention in Oklahoma City. Hope to see many of
you there....

						Jim Loveland