Re: HYB: Introducing Siblings

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/15/1999 11:58:51 PM Central Standard Time,
73372.1745@compuserve.com writes:

 All true -- and completely beside the point.  Of course there are many
 cases in which distinctive sibs have been introduced. >>

Sharon, of course, you are right.  That cross is a bad example.  However, to
my eyes (MY opinion) only a couple were truly distinctive--Witches Wand, and
Gallant Rogue and neither of them was the one that grew well in my garden.  An
educated guess is that the best growers were introduced first.

My iris memories are gradually returning.  One of the crosses I was trying to
pull out of my distant memories was the cross of Navy Strut and Mystique by
Atkins.  My breeding program began in 1986 with only one rebloomer.  I
corresponded with and ordered irises from Monty Byers, and he highly touted
the merits of Orbiter as a quality purple that was also a good breeder.  Monty
also helped me with that original core of rebloomers that I desperately

Other than creating good rebloomers, my program had no focus.  I used the
scatter gun technique.  I breed anything that didn't get up and run to
anything that rebloomed.  Totally obsessed.  From 86 on, I used Orbiter a lot
in my breeding program.

I was new at hybridizing and the tricks of the trade.  I was a bit miffed when
Atkins introduced Gyro.  I thought I was working with the best of the cross
and now he said Gyro was the best.  As time passed it became totally
irrelevant.  I introduced the genes from Navy Strut and Mystique into my line
much quicker than if I'd waited for Gyro.  And I did enjoy Orbiter for years
and I introduced it to local gardens.  I've not seen Gyro in a garden around
here or at a show so I don't know if it is truly better.

When an iris stands on the show bench, it doesn't matter how many irises are
introduced from one cross.  You could introduce a hundred.  An iris stands
alone in all of his/her glory. Those that don't show well, don't make the
bench or stay on the show circuit long.  And how about all of the great irises
that simply bloom at an inopportune time?

Parentage is very important to hybridizers and the future of irises as we keep
rolling the dice.

Betty Wilkerson from KY.