Re: HIPS: HYB: chromosome counts

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
>>If the count is only off plus or minus one chromosone, is there still
a good likelihood of setting seeds?  Do your chances decrease to very
unlikely as you move the parent's count away from each other?<<

I've been wondering the same things.....

It's been suggested to me that if a seedling were to have an uneven number of Cs that it would *have* to be sterile.

If two seedlings have the same number of Cs, even if the count is uneven, wouldn't a cross between them simply produce more seedlings with the same uneven number?

Also, in some crosses, there must be other factors at work since some plants seem to "recognize" close relatives even if the C counts aren't quite the same.

One additional question........ When we talk about chromosomes, we are talking about *pairs* of Cs aren't we...... as in 2n=whatever?

Christy Hensler

Newport, WA z4b