Re: REF: Journals

From: "Zebra" <zebra@chcs.com>

From: Scott Aitken <zebra@chcs.com>

Regarding the AIS Bulletin: I have the easy part -- trying to make it look
good. My dad has the hard part -- editing. Ug.

There is such a wide variety of people with such varied interests who read
the Bulletin. I can assure you it is totally impossible to make all the
readers happy. Take the "Design Corner", for example, a regular feature
about displaying irises. Some people just scream at my dad about how awful
it is, and what a waste of paper. Others write in saying that is their
favorite article and the whole reason they subscribe! He gets similar
this? I'm just glad I don't have to decide what goes in the Bulletin.

Remember also that the Bulletin is not just a magazine, it is the
publication of a society. So, even if some of the minutes, administrative
stuff, and articles about RVPs probably have a limited interest for many
people, I think there is an obligation to have it.

Bill Shear also made a very good point about volunteering to write
articles. The articles in the Bulletin are only as good as what is
submitted. My poor dad has to beg and beg and BEG people to write articles.
People promise to write something, but never turn it in, or turn it in
really late. People complain about getting the Bulletin late, but if my dad
enforced the article deadline, we would have about 2 articles in the next
Bulletin. So if you think you have a good idea for an article, please,
please, please, write it and send it in! Really. My dad would love it! If
your writing skills are not terrific, get together with someone else in
your club and do it jointly -- it might be fun!

Same goes for pictures. You may have noticed that a majority of pictures in
the Bulletin are my dads? If you have any good quality slides --
particularly of irises that have won an award -- submit those too.
Sometimes we print mediocre pictures of awarded flowers because he can't
find anyone with a better picture. They do need to be slides, or at least
very high quality glossy prints to get a good scan.

Finally, some good news. In the past, we have been restricted to no more
than 124 pages because of the type of bindry we used. With all of the
obligated articles, administrative stuff, minutes, show reports, and
shopping section, sometimes that didn't leave a whole lot of room for many
articles. You may have noticed a few times in the last couple years where
we have had to split a long article into part 1 & 2, and spread it over 2
issues. No longer. We have changed to a new binding system which will let
us print as many pages as we want (or can afford). This will give my dad
the option to print more and/or longer articles... provided that people
submit them.

Scott.