Re: HIPS: HYB: chromosome counts

   From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>>It might be that the uneven numbers of chromosomes are due to observer
error.  Usually chromosome counts should be verified by more than one
observer, especially if they are considered anomalous or unusual.<<

The "uneven" count was based on simple math rather than an actual spread.

I'm curious about what would most likely happen if a cross of two cvs, would be likely to result in an uneven count.

The ones I'd use as an example are I.fulva (2n=42) X I.ensata (2n=24) or I.fulva X crossed to a 28C Sib. (The counts are from Kohlein's "Iris".)

Would the "extra" be dropped or could a population with an uneven count be used as a base for developing a new line?

Christy Hensler

Newport, WA