Re: HIST: Argentina

I should have been more explicit on the ARGENTEA/ARGENTINA confusion. It was hard to follow without the full story -- I will try to be a little clearer.

About 15 years ago I was really grinding on a project involving AMAS and I. mesopotamica. As part of that project I REALLY wanted to obtain ARGENTINA (Mohr 23). Two nurseries listed ARGENTINA, I ordered from both. Both firms sent me I. pallida ARGENTEA, the variegated foliage pallida introduced by Goos and Koenemann in 1906. Of course, the mistake was obvious the minute I opened the boxes.

I called both firms and demanded an explanation. After much head scratching and lame excuses BOTH outfits settled on the excuse "the computer's Spell Checker did it and we didn't notice."

ARGENTINA (Mohr 23) is fully tetraploid with a bit left over (2n=50) and ARGENTEA, one of the numerous variegated pallidas is firmly 2n=24.

Mike, with a Spelling Checker that isn't THAT dumb!

[the project, which involved clarification of AMAS's role in remontency, turned out to have no clear answers.]