OT: soil pH test kit

From:	dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net (Dennis Kramb)

I found out that we sell soil pH test kits at work.  With my employee
discount I can get them for $19.01 (can't forget that extra $.01!).  This
test kit works as follows:

Fill test tube 30% with soil removing any stones & organic matter.  Fill
the rest of test tube with neutral water and shake for 1 minute.  Place
test strip in for 5 seconds and remove.  Compare color pattern to the
master card to ascertain your soil pH.

The kit contains 100 strips and measures over a range of 4.5 to 10.

My question is, is this worth it?  Or can I get them cheaper at a garden
center?  I've never cared about soil pH much before, but I figure if I'm
going to be a "real" gardener, it's something I should learn to do.
Especially now that I'm growing more exotic stuff.

On a side note, my work does not sell replacement strips, but I imagine
those hundred strips would last me for years (I hope).

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, SLI, & Miami Valley Iris Society
(Check out my web page at http://home.fuse.net/dkramb/home.html)