Re: HYB: Zonals

From: "Merle & Linda Roberts" <irisbuff@televar.com>

Walter, I work with a lot of different zonals and last year I've had a lot
light blue ground (zonals and plicata) show in a lot of blue amoena
seedlings.  Is this something new?
Are there any hybridizers working with blue ground plicatas out there?

Merle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Merle & Linda Roberts
Grand Coulee, Washington
irisbuff@televar.com
http://www.televar.com/~irisbuff/    Zone 5

> Walter, isn't Victoria Falls considered a zonal?  I seem to remember an
> article on zonals several years ago in the Bulletin or some other AIS pub
that
> featured V.F.  City Lights is one quarter V. F.  thru Windsurfer.
>
> Also, how can I (we) tell the difference in a yellow plicata and a yellow
> zonal.  I've not worked with either, but I'm curious.
>
> Betty . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  .  . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Yes, VF is considered a zonal, but the spot becomes more pronounced
in CITY LIGHTS, SPEED LIMIT, and FALL SPOTLIGHT.

As well as I can tell and remember, the term 'zonal' surfaced with
VF and seemed to be limited to violets and blues, but I have seen
descriptions in catalogs using the term 'zonal'  with yellows that
had a white spot. The difference between plicatas and zonals is that
the edge is stitched or dotted in a plicata and in a zonal, it is  a
solid band of a contrasting color.  What confuses this situation is
that most blue and violet zonals have plic ancestors and the yellows
do not.  Another way to check is to pull on the fall where it is
attached to the haft.  If you see speckles, it is from plicata
breeding.  This same test is the one that confirms that LACED COTTON
is a plicata.  But, how many times have you seen the best plic
trophy  in a show go to LACED COTTON?

Try the same test on ORANGE PLUME.  It appears to be an 'orange
zonal', but it is a plic.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS 7/8 (cloudy and showery but near 70o)