Re: REF: Journals

From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>

At 10:56 AM 1/16/99 -0800, you wrote:
>From: Scott Aitken <zebra@chcs.com>
>Regarding the AIS Bulletin: I have the easy part -- trying to make it look
>good. My dad has the hard part -- editing. Ug.

Scott -

I agree entirely with your assessment of the difficulties of putting out
the AIS Bulletin. In my short time with AIS I've seen it go through a
period of explosive improvement. Two or three years ago the rap was that
there was a great need for improving the appearance of the Bulletin. You
certainly deserve credit for accomplishing that with a spectacular increase
in the amount of color used.

It is true that a society has a need of informing its members of the
business of that society. While the bulk of us will flip over these pages,
anyone who ever becomes a director or other officer will find these dry
business things of minutes and motions to be an invaluable reference in an
easy-to-find manner.

Unfortunately, the world is moving away from slides and into digital
format. Digital cameras that can accept interchangable lenses and metering
systems found in good SLR cameras cost several times the cost of film
cameras, and I, like many other photographers have been moving instead
toward print film which can be scanned by an average flat-bed scanner, as
opposed to spending $1,500 on a scanner that can only do slides. So long as
you are tied to slides, as opposed to digital technology, I do not envy
your job.

The greatest difficulty in editing a society journal which depends entirely
on the talents, time commitment and good will of its members for materials
- articles, reports, slides - is putting the issues out in a timely manner.
I have seen society journals fall back two years and more, with finger
pointing and recriminations.

You and Terry have put out not only an improved journal, but have done so
in a timely manner, against all the difficulties that have caused many
another journal editor to flounder. Keep up the good work. YOU ARE

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
Persimmon Katz
 { o o }