Re: HYB: Zonals

From: dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Mike Lowe wrote:

> From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>
> Walter Moores writes...
> >Look for the picture of FALL SPOTLIGHT.  It has the largest zonal
> >spot I have seen yet.  It may look like a plic, but it is not.
> Conventional wisdom attributes the zonal pattern to be a result of Victoria
> Falls background.
> Do you buy into this theory?
> Cheers, Mike in Southside Virginia, where the computers have been unplugged since
> early morning due to severe thunderstorms.
I am a bit sceptical about this. I have oldies with zonals like tears
hanging off the end of the beard(s). The oldies are Mount Royal (Morgan
'29) and Indian Hills (Grant '35) which I think predate VF. The zonals
for these flowers have blue veins.

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
cold edge of Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page