Re: HYB: Zonals

From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>

Mike Lowe asks....

>> Conventional wisdom attributes the zonal pattern to be a result of Victoria
>> Falls background.
>> Do you buy into this theory?

Diana Louis replies...

>I am a bit sceptical about this. I have oldies with zonals like tears
>hanging off the end of the beard(s). The oldies are Mount Royal (Morgan
>'29) and Indian Hills (Grant '35) which I think predate VF. The zonals
>for these flowers have blue veins.

[I hate that sound! We were doing a 'dog and pony' at the HIPS national
meeting...I flashed a picture of 'Spun Gold' on the screen and a soft,
muted, but insistent, 'eeuooww' arose from several areas in the audience. I
resignedly asked: "OK what is it, really?" The consensus was that it was
Rocket. I have since that time seen Rocket masquerading in at least five
Dykes' collections. I FINALLY believe that I obtained a slide of the 'real'
Spun Gold in Rosalie Figgie's garden last spring.]

But, back to my opening eeuooww.....

I am not that familiar with Mount Royal but I can, with a high degree of
confidence, assure you that Indian Hills is not a zonal. Take a peek at the
HIPS website photos of I.H.

New aphorism "tis better to know than to continue in blissful ignorance..."

Mike,  mlowe@worldiris.com   --   http://www.worldiris.com
South Central Virginia, USA; USDA Zone 7A