Re: HYB: Zonals to Pseudonyms

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/18/1999 2:56:17 PM Central Standard Time,
mlowe@worldiris.com writes:

 Diana Louis replies...
 >I am a bit sceptical about this. I have oldies with zonals like tears
 >hanging off the end of the beard(s). The oldies are Mount Royal (Morgan
 >'29) and Indian Hills (Grant '35) which I think predate VF. The zo

 [I hate that sound! We were doing a 'dog and pony' at the HIPS national
 meeting...I flashed a picture of 'Spun Gold' on the screen and a soft,
 muted, but insistent, 'eeuooww' arose from several areas in the audience. I
 resignedly asked: "OK what is it, really?" The consensus was that it was
 Rocket. I have since that time seen Rocket masquerading in at least five
 Dykes' collections. I FINALLY believe that I obtained a slide of the 'real'
 Spun Gold in Rosalie Figgie's garden last spring.]
 But, back to my opening eeuooww.....
 I am not that familiar with Mount Royal but I can, with a high degree of
 confidence, assure you that Indian Hills is not a zonal. Take a peek at the
 HIPS website photos of I.H.
 New aphorism "tis better to know than to continue in blissful ignorance..."
 Mike,  mlowe >>

My daughter has done something to my computer and I haven't a clue what so I'm
fly      flying blind here, but I'm going to give it a shot.  Oh dear, the
cursor is out of place.  and the screen isn't right!

Any way, the subject of misnamed irises.  Again.  With so many irises jumping
around and hiding in gardens under pseudonyms perhaps hybridizing records are
as reliable as we would like.  Most of us can concede that a lot of
seedlings/iriselook the same.  I've been told horror stories about people not
having enough of an introduction so they substitute siblings etc. to fill the
orders.  I've even heard that old irises have been reintroduced under new
names.  Now, of course,I don't believe any of this but, everything considered,
how true are hybridizer's records?