Re: HYB: Zonals to Pseudonyms

From: "Michael D. Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>

> OKaaaaaaayy
>
> My daughter has done something to my computer and I haven't a clue what
so I'm
> fly      flying blind here, but I'm going to give it a shot.  Oh dear,
the
> cursor is out of place.  and the screen isn't right!

 Been there done that < No kids to blame it on

> Any way, the subject of misnamed irises.  Again.  With so many irises
jumping
> around and hiding in gardens under pseudonyms perhaps hybridizing records
are
> as reliable as we would like.  Most of us can concede that a lot of
> seedlings/iriselook the same.  I've been told horror stories about people
not
> having enough of an introduction so they substitute siblings etc. to fill
the
> orders.  I've even heard that old irises have been reintroduced under new
> names.  Now, of course,I don't believe any of this but, everything
considered,
> how true are hybridizer's records?
>
> Betty

How much is true, How many irises have the correct name. If only 5% of the
people Make mistakes accidentally or purposeful . How that could magnify
over the years. I can see people at HIPS are correct some of this. Just too
many people and too many iris.

If someone broke in your house and garden and destroyed all your records.
labels, and planting charts  tomorrow. How many could you identify honestly
and correctly? How many would you not be sure of?
We all could think of lots of ways an iris can be misnamed. I don't have
any answers. While I am new at this my first purchase from a award winning
hybridizer  was Song Of Norway.( when it bloomed it was a dark blue-black)
Should I go back to K-Mart.

Michael D. Greenfield
redear@infinet.com