Re: Pseudonyms

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

> While I am new at this my first purchase from a award winning
>hybridizer  was Song Of Norway.( when it bloomed it was a dark
>blue-black) Should I go back to K-Mart.  Michael D. Greenfield

This is following on to recent discussions about accurately named cv's.
A Victorian (Australian) mail order nursery offers bearded iris which
are apparently "Fruits of an Australian breeding program". (Many of the
listed cv's are from U.S. hybridisers.) They then go on to list, in
colour groups, about 8 named cv's per group. You order by colour, and
get a named cultivar, which they choose from this group. At $9.50 each,
or $18 for 3 (identical rz's) they are not cheap. They specify that
exact (labeled) names are not guaranteed.
You can also order unnamed seedlings (presumably from the same Aus
breeding program), very cheaply.
It seems to me that someone is offloading it's surplus, while remaining
nameless themselves. So, while I don't want to support a company which
sells improperly named irises, should I continue to support a company
who supplies them with these? (Of course, I don't actually know who this
company is, do I?)
Perhaps the unnamed seedlings would be the safest way to go?
I guess people are just trying to make a buck in whatever way they can!
Jan Clark, wondering how many reject seedlings have been sold with Dykes
medal names.