Re: HYB: chromosome counts

From: dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Dan & Marilyn Mason wrote:

> 1/17/99 : Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net> wrote:
> <Part of what we did when making counts was draw what we
> were seeing thru
> the microscope.....>
>
> What power of magnification is adequate for counting
> chromosomes for iris? Are we talking about an average high
> school biology lab microscope or a high ticket item for
> specialized laboratory use?
>
> Dan Mason  zone 3, NW Ontario dmason@rainyriver.lakeheadu.ca

Dan, X 40 would be enough and maybe X10. Depends how big the chromasomes
are and how many. I've no idea how much the X40 would cost or whether
that is in high school labs.

--
Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
cold edge of Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada

URL for the North American Native Irises web page
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html