HIST: Correction--Royal Gardens

From: daf10@cornell.edu (Dorothy A. Fingerhood)

Mike Lowe wrote:>

>From the Royal Iris Gardens, Col. J. C. Nicholls, 1933 catalog: Mount Royal
>(Morgan 1924) 40" S. light blue; F. dark blue purple. Very large flowers
>and noted for its delicious fragrance.

One slight correction here, Mike.  Royal Iris Gardens was operated by Jesse
C. Nicholls, Jr., the Col.'s son.  The Col. himself operated from Ithaca,
NY, while Royal was near Syracuse, NY.   The fact that the two men shared a
name and both were involved in iris activities has lead to some confusion.

Col. Nicholls is the guy who achieved some fame with varieties VALOR, RED
VALOR, MARY E. NICHOLLS, MATA HARI, etc.  As far as I can tell, Jesse Jr.,
helped with his father's early efforts, but did not introduce bearded irises
himself.   He did, however, market many "vinicolors" and wrote a most
interesting account of collecting these from  "dismal swamps" in one of his
Royal Gardens catalogs.

Dorothy (Fingerhood) Stiefel
Newfield, NY