Re: HYB: hybridizing for yellow

From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>

Dennis,

Japanese iris have a similar problem and I understand that hybridizers,
particularly in Japan are working on getting a yellow iris.  John Coble has
slides of some of the attempts to get more yellow.  I don't recall what
types of crosses they are doing in their attempts.

Bob Hollingworth has been working on siberians and expanding the signal
colour.  I don't know if he is working at all with cultivars with yellow
signals.  I believe he has some seedlings where the signal colour covers
most of the fall, leaving a rim of colour.  There appears to be potential
for a yellow siberian with a rim of white.

Extrapolating from that, I would expect that you could carry out a similar
hybridizing program for other beardless iris.  Go for it, Dennis.

Maureen Mark
mailto:mmark@ottawa.com
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4) -- where our five feet of snow has been whittled
down to four by yesterday's rain and we have a freezing rain warning in
effect for tomorrow.