Re: HYB: flower of the rainbow

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

The breeding of yellow siberian irises followed along from the yellow
present on the hafts of some white varieties.  I think this was just a case
of pure selection--looking for seedlings in which the yellow was expanded,
crossing those, selecting again, etc.  Eventually you get BUTTER AND SUGAR
(which fades to white within hours of opening in my garden).  I suspect the
same process, starting with whites with yellow hafts, would also work for

I'm guessing you'd have to start with whites because the blue/violet
pigments would certainly interfere with the yellow.

Can anyone in the loop tell us about recent progress on yellow siberians?

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943