Re: HYB: R & Is

From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>

Chris Hollinshead writes...

>Mike Lowe wrote:
>> And the fact that, between the award of the Hybridizer's Medal 44
>> years ago
>> to the Schreiner family and the award of the Hybridizer's Medal to Ray
>> Schreiner in 1998: they have won eight Dykes Medals, 3 Wister medals and
>> 113 Award of Merit or equivalent awards, tells you that 'someone there has
>> a fine eye for picking good iris!'  8-;
>>

>Chris comments:
>I do AGREE with the above observation BUT the scale of the marketing aspect
>of the introductions is also absolutely a factor in this equation. Not to
>say that this is good or bad but I did want to point this out.

I don't think that scale plays nearly the part that is often ascribed to it.
After all, Schreiner's are not the largest iris firm operating. That
accolade is reserved for Cooley's Iris Gardens. If size and distribution
were a hugely significant factor in iris awards, we would be able to sort
number of awards received by the size of the organization distributing said
iris. Such is emphatically not the case. MANY Dykes Medals have come out of
handkerchief sized seedling plots. And to answer the charge, "anyone can
get lucky" these same gardens produced multitudes of HMs and AMs.

On the other hand, sending a given cultivar to every AIS judge 'for
evaluation' does bring benefits! (Yes, it has been done, and yes, the iris
in question won the top award in its category. BUT, in mitigation and
extenuation, it IS an excellent iris!)

Cheers,

Mike,  mlowe@worldiris.com   --   http://www.worldiris.com
South Central Virginia, USA; USDA Zone 7A