Sale of Seedlings

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Rosalie wrote:

>   it is my understanding that it is "illegal" in the iris world to SELL
>  seedlings!  If they are not good enough to be introduced, they are not
>  enough to be foisted unto the public and they should be destroyed,
>  etc.

On the contrary, in some parts of the iris world it is a long standing
practice to offer seedlings that are of interest to hybridizers.  When I
was co-chair of the ASI sale, we called that section "The Gene Pool".   I'm
NOT advocating the sale of row-run seedlings at incredibly cheap prices --
only seedlings I'd selected as breeders for my own program would go into a
Gene Pool -- but there are some fantastic breeders that don't appeal to the
general public.

Introduced or not, it usually takes years for a breeder to prove itself.
Sometimes the hybridizer will eventually register and introduce one of
these -- I did it myself, registering AB87-6-10 as ON BENDED KNEE.  It was
very good, but didn't quite measure up to my ideal for the line so I kept
it for breeding and offered it in my Gene Pool.  As the years passed, it
not only proved itself as a parent but also became popular with garden
visitors.  So I registered it.

Sharing of seedlings has also had an impact on the TBs.  Just imagine the
consequences for the development of the tangerine pinks if Loomis had
destroyed SQ 72.....

Sharon McAllister