HIST: CORONATION?

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 1/19/99 9:45:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mlowe@worldiris.com writes:

<<  The Nicholl's catalog does have one further 'claim to fame' in furnishing
 information that might help resolve a long standing 'Iris Identity Mixup'
 involving VIRGINIA MOORE (Shull 1920) and CORONATION (Moore 1927). It is my
 contention that VIRGINIA MOORE has totally supplanted CORONATION on the
 East Coast and when you see an iris puported to be 'Coronation' (at least
 in the East) it is actually 'Virginia Moore.' >>

Like what information? Prithee tell us Moore.

There is a lot of what I had come to regard as CORONATION around this prt of
the world.  Rather distinctive shape to the bloom. Medium yellow self of a
color that is both saturated and dingy, and with a real tendency toward color
breaking with frequent dots or dashes of bright crimson on the petals.

In 'Iris in the Little Garden'-- one of the most endearing of the earlier
books on garden irises--Ms. McKinney says the standards of VIRGINIA MOORE
"suggest a lighted window". In "Rainbow Fragments"--a book to cherish if you
are a fancier of the pre- 1930 bearded stuff-----the color given for VIRGINIA
MOORE is "luminous chrome yellow," which, on the chart of my Ridgway Color
Standards and Nomenclature (1912) shows....a familiar medium yellow that is
both saturated and dingy.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com