Re: HYB: hybridizing for yellow

From:	dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net (Dennis Kramb)

>From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>
>Japanese iris have a similar problem and I understand that hybridizers,
>particularly in Japan are working on getting a yellow iris.  John Coble has
>slides of some of the attempts to get more yellow.  I don't recall what
>types of crosses they are doing in their attempts.
>Bob Hollingworth has been working on siberians and expanding the signal
>colour.  I don't know if he is working at all with cultivars with yellow
>signals.  I believe he has some seedlings where the signal colour covers
>most of the fall, leaving a rim of colour.  There appears to be potential
>for a yellow siberian with a rim of white.

A old IRIS-L'er from Lithuania sent me pictures tonight of some pale yellow
seedlings he's hybridized.  They're a ghostly yellow white and quite
lovely!  Anyone interested, I'll be happy to forward the jpegs to you.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, SLI, & Miami Valley Iris Society
(Check out my web page at http://home.fuse.net/dkramb/home.html)