Names for Irises (was Re: Pseudonyms & seed auction)

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: Michael D. Greenfield
> >
> Sounds Interesting.  How does it work if one of these seeds grow into a
> plant . Who names it ? who gets credit for what Just wondering.

I suppose the naming could be by mutual agreement or by the person who
raised the plant from seed. I believe the appropriate way to register such
an iris would be"<hybridizer's name> by <selector's name>" (presuming that
the person who raised it from seed was also the one who selected it for
registration).

> Can you name a Iris after a character in a book without the authors
> permission. Like Robin Hood., Little John  DarthVader. cant think of any
> right now.

Anyone is free to use names of literary origin that are in the public
domain (such as "Robin Hood"). Permission would be needed to use names
drawn from copyrighted material (such as "Darth Vader"). Maybe that's why
the iris was introduced as DARK VADER (R.&L. Miller, '85).

jcwalters@bridgernet.com