Re: HIST: CORONATION?

From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>

Anner Whitehead writes...

>There is a lot of what I had come to regard as CORONATION around this prt of
>the world.  Rather distinctive shape to the bloom. Medium yellow self of a
>color that is both saturated and dingy, and with a real tendency toward color
>breaking with frequent dots or dashes of bright crimson on the petals.
>
>In 'Iris in the Little Garden'-- one of the most endearing of the earlier
>books on garden irises--Ms. McKinney says the standards of VIRGINIA MOORE
>"suggest a lighted window". In "Rainbow Fragments"--a book to cherish if you
>are a fancier of the pre- 1930 bearded stuff-----the color given for VIRGINIA
>MOORE is "luminous lemon chrome," which, on the chart of my Ridgway Color
>Standards and Nomenclature (1912) shows....a familiar medium yellow that is
>both saturated and dingy.

from BAIS 6:37 -- VIRGINIA MOORE. Lemon chrome; very free-flowering; S.
cupped, ruffled; F. drooping; growth rampant; 34 in. Faint veins
occasionally present on
falls; beard orange.

from BAIS 53:28 -- CORONATION Widely branched, empire yellow throughout;
3ft. Foliage tinged at base; S. overlapping; F. flaring to drooping; haft
and claw slightly reticulated and flecked maroon; beard projecting, orange
tipt. Excellent garden effect; flecked occasionally; appears deeper than
Pluie d'Or.

I wonder if 'Faint veins' refer to red veining on the falls!? For what it
is worth, I have never seen Marion Shull granddaughter's Virginia Moore -->
Clarence Mahan's V.M. --> our Virginia Moore 'break red.' There is one
interesting point however, some of the early yellows have a spectrum red
wash over the 'claw' of the standards. You almost have to pull the flower
apart to see it - it does show, somewhat, on the photos of both Coronation
and Virginia Moore on the HIPS website.

I think that Sherwin Wright, Coronation and others, prove that spectrum red
is lurking in the genes -- how to spread it around without adultrating it
is the rub!

I first saw the 'different' Coronation at the MI convention. I was
fascinated--in three Virginia gardens CORONATION and V.M are identical.