Re: HYB: Flower of the Rainbow

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Sharon wrote:
>True, the pigment for spectrum red has been rarely found in iris and >I
know of no case where it's been identified in a TB.  Lycopene, the
>pigment responsible for tangerine pinks, is one of the carotenes.
>That makes it convenient to think of its limit as tomato red.  We can
>get beards and signals that appear quite "red" because the pigment >has
greater concentration in those areas.  Getting "red" standards >and
falls is another matter.

My understanding from Kohlein, was that we are only a small mutation
away from a red iris. It's only a matter of pigment molecules adding an
extra -CHCOOH, (or is that a COOCOOCaCHOOH?) somewhere. It's a long time
since I did organic chemistry, but I think that on this basis, we should
all sit around and watch our irises mutate for a bit.

Jan Clark (very tongue in cheek)