Re: Pseudonyms

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>Actually, if the price were low enough, I'd be very happy to buy some
>seedlings.  It would be exciting to see what came of them, and
>although most would probably be very ordinary iris, there would >always
be the chance of getting something really nice.  Kind of like >buying a
lottery ticket.  You wouldn't expect to win, but the >possibility would
be exciting.       Bob Campbell

The seedlings I mentioned were 6 for $9 Au. Presuming you would need to
grow 500 or so, to get something worth keeping, it gets costly. Also,
they have already been rejected by the hybridiser, who probably keeps
not only irises for registration, but also a lot to continue the
breeding program. They come without any form of identification, and for
$9 you might just get 6 rz of the same seedling plant.
For $9 I can buy 2 or 3 older cv's which I know will be reliable and
look lovely in my garden.
My main objections to the sale of seedlings are:
1. Flooding the lower end of the market with unnamed plants, which often
'adopt' names of named cultivars, as they are spread from person to
person.
2. The hybridiser takes no responsibility him/herself, just pops the
money in the bank. So you can't say: 'I'm not buying my irises from
so-and-so, they off load their seedlings on the open market.' (Think
about this - those packeted irises could be rejects from your favourite,
large supplier, with an excellent reputation to maintain)

It isn't illegal, there is obviously a market for it, and it's a way of
making a quick buck, and clearing away the rubbish. I think it is pretty
low!
Jan Clark