Re: Sale of Seedlings

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Sharon writes:
>On the contrary, in some parts of the iris world it is a long >standing
practice to offer seedlings that are of interest to >hybridizers.  When
I was co-chair of the ASI sale, we called that >section "The Gene Pool".
I'm NOT advocating the sale of row-run >seedlings at incredibly cheap
prices --only seedlings I'd selected as >breeders for my own program
would go into a Gene Pool -- but there >are some fantastic breeders that
don't appeal to the general public.
This is a very worthwhile source of genetic material for hybridisers,
and is similar to what Kathy is suggesting. A much better bet than seed.
I guess it is just a matter of getting to know people, and finding out
how to obtain such plants.

I just hope 'Gene Pool' still means what I think it means. I've just
come to grips with the fact that 'Gene Hunt' is not something you do
with a microscope! :-)
JAN Clark, in Australia