Re: Schreiner's/mislabelled plants

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

---RYFigge@aol.com wrote:
> From: RYFigge@aol.com
> John Montgomery made an excellent point about casting aspersions at
> on air without  complaining to them first to allow correction -- and
I  give a
> great "AMEN" to that!  We don't need anymore slugging matches!
Thanks, John.

        V. sez:

   I don't know that it is necessarily casting aspersions. I think
that people genuinely want to know if they can trust that they will
receive what they ordered. Especially when it may take the cv two or
three years to bloom, at which point you find out that it has been
taking up valuable garden space with no benefit to you. It may be only
a mistake, but some growers may make more mistakes than others, and
buyers may choose to spend their money elsewhere. There have been
several posts stating that people have never received a mislabelled
iris from Schreiner's, so a mismarked rhizome may be an infrequent
   I have received mislabelled rhizomes from two reputable commercial
iris growers. (NOT Schreiner's!!!) One sent one mislabelled rhizome.
The other had sent ones so small, most of them did not survive the
winter, and having one mislabelled was the "last straw". I have spoken
to other people who have had similar experiences with this grower. I
would order again from the first, but NEVER AGAIN from the second
   I have also sent in an order to a grower and never received
ANYTHING, despite having the check cashed, receiving an order
confirmation, and having sent several letters after not receiving any
rhizomes. So there are worse things than having a mislabelled cv.
   I have received mislabelled rhizomes from one garden center, two
"general" catalogs that happen to sell iris, and a club sale.
Commercial iris growers may not be perfect, but you will probably have
better odds of success buying from them.

      I think that I am Vince Lewonski, but I won't be sure until I
check the Checklist!!!