Re: HIST: CORONATION?

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 1/20/99 2:54:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mlowe@worldiris.com writes:

<<  Shull was meticulous in mentioning cultivars' foliage color in "Rainbow
 Fragments." Could he -- would he, overlook mentioning purple based foliage
 on his own introduction?  >>

I can't answer that one, but I can say that the tabular listings at the back
of RAINBOW FRAGMENTS where the info for VIRGINIA MOORE is found might not be,
shall we say, definitive.

I just did a very cursory comparison between the list of irises with purple
based foliage that Phil Edinger compiled from various sources and published in
the Spring '92 ROOTS, and the list in RAINBOW FRAGMENTS. Shull did not note
purple tingeing on the foliage of these: ANNE LESLIE, DOLLY MADISON, MME
CHERI, NANCY ORNE, ROMANY, SALONIQUE, SHERBERT, SHERWIN- WRIGHT, or SOLANA,
but they do appear on Edinger's list.  Up on page 219 of RF Shull does note
that MME CHERI's foliage is "slightly tinged at base." I did not poke about
further in the body of the book.

Regarding total bizarre spellcheck suggestions:  I just ran mine on this note
to torture it and don't you know it wanted me to replace Edinger with Edina!
How's that for a HIPSoisie in-joke?

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com