Re: CAT: Accuracy and the like...

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 1/21/1999 12:17:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
skorblizzard@hotmail.com writes:

<< If people are worried about getting a bad "rap" from an upset customer,
they might try just a little bit harder to get the order right to begin with.
And, on that note, we all do make mistakes - such is life.  >>

If I may just say one small thing about this subject....  IMHO, your local
CLUB is where you might have an open forum on the good, the bad and the ugly
(as we call it).  We have one meeting a year where we drag in all our catalogs
and people talk about good experiences and not so good.  In this type of
setting, the uninitiated can get a better overview of who is actually a poor
business person, and who simply made a mistake once that they made good on,
because we can have a dialog.

We must always remember that there are many, many people reading this list....
and that we hold folks' businesses and livelihoods in our hands.  It's just
not fair to say something negative in open forum, IMHO, where you don't have a
counterbalance.

I have had bad experiences as well (one place out of business), but far more
excellent!  I should think that this forum would better be used for saying
GOOD things about some folks...  and letting the others be "damned by faint
praise".  In fact, we could be PROACTIVE by listing our five top favorite iris
sources!

If this sounds like I'm suggesting that we are protecting anyone - let's just
say that this comes from a person who learned she was being criticized without
having the ability to defend herself.

I took a course last year that was wonderful.... changed my life and my
outlook.  And one thing that I remember is that negative leads to negative and
positive leads to positive.... and I'd like to stay on the plus side of the
fence!

ANYWAY.... I'll start.  My 5 favorite iris sources (no particular order) are:

Ensata Gardens:  Japanese iris and a few siberians.  Lots of pictures,
excellent quality.

Keppel's Iris Garden:  Keith is reknowned for his attention to his customers.
If you write him a note, you WILL get a hand-written note back.  His attention
continues to his irises.

Aitken's Salmon Creek Gardens:  Bearded irises of all types, beardless and
orchids.  Some pictures, great quality.

Schreiners - wonderful selection and a full color catalog.  As a west coast
seller, we find we have better success if we abuse the rhizomes for a bit when
they are received... leave them in the sun for two weeks, then plant.

Draycott Gardens:  siberians and japanese.  Wide selection and wonderful
quality.

There are lots more, of course.  And I will end this monologue by saying that
the BEST place to get an iris is from your local sale!

Kathy Guest - cup and one-half of hightest this morning
E. Aurora, NY